Our distribution date this year is Monday, August 21st. The deadline for donations is August 18th.
Please help us make this year’s Program a success. We are in need of large backpacks for Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers as well as 3 ring binders to help students start the school year off in September. Thank you for your support!
For donation drop-off information or questions, email LnFbackpackprogram@gmail.com or call (978) 772-4627.
The Loaves & Fishes Board of Directors, Staff and facilitator Tammie Foote presented Loaves & Fishes’ Strategic Plan at a breakfast meeting on June 6, 2017.
The Strategic Plan in PDF format is available here.
The need for help with food is growing despite the improving economy. Some data points that made now the right time:
- A high and growing higher number of people in our area face food insecurity: 1 in 16 people overall, 1 in 6 children and 1 in 5 senior citizens.
- Poverty rates in some of the towns we serve are 12%.
- The poverty rate is $24,600 for a family of four with most assistance programs limited to those at 1.5 to 2 times that amount which is more than $25,000 below the $75,000 average cost of living in this area
- The population living on fixed incomes is growing rapidly as baby boomers retire.
- Improvements in transportation to Devens may lead to more people who need our services gaining access.
- Hunger and food insecurity aren’t the same thing. Quality and nutritional value of food matter. As Loaves & Fishes has shifted to more fresh produce our storage and distribution requirements have shifted.
- Uncertainty over funding and other support for public assistance programs.
Continue reading Loaves & Fishes’ Strategic Plan
We need your help! Our allotment of turkeys and hams from the Greater Boston Food Bank has been drastically reduced during the past few years. This year, in order to meet the need, we are asking you to consider a financial donation instead of actual turkeys and hams. This will allow us to purchase from local vendors the quantity and sizes we need, solve our problem with lack of cold storage space and, save you a trip to the store and then to the Pantry to deliver the turkey or ham. Of course, we will still accept donations of turkeys and hams on-site for those who prefer to donate in person!
Please visit our Holiday Dinner Distribution Event donate page to make a contribution on-line or mail a check to Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry, Inc., PO Box 1, Ayer, MA 01432. Please notate on the memo line that your donation is for turkeys/hams. We will use all funds raised for this project for the purchase of turkeys and hams for the Thanksgiving and Holiday Dinner Distributions. Any remaining funds will be treated as a general donation and be utilized for other items needed for the holiday distributions or for general food needs.
With your help we can provide our neighbors, who are experiencing some challenges, with not only food during this holiday season, but also hope!
My sincere thanks for your on-going support.
Patricia A. Stern