The backpack distribution date is Monday, August 21st. This event will be held at The Bob Eisengrein Community Center, Devens, MA.
The deadline for donations is Friday, August 18th.
For donation drop-off information or questions, contact Christine at: LnFbackpackprogram@gmail.com or call (978) 772-4627.
The Bob Eisengrein Community Center 100 Sherman Avenue, Devens, MA 01434 9:30-11:00 AM & 5:30-7:00 PM; After Event 7-7:30 PM
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE CHILDREN IN OUR COMMUNITY AS THEY HEAD BACK TO SCHOOL!
The Loaves & Fishes Board of Directors, Staff and facilitator Tammie Foote presented Loaves & Fishes’ Strategic Plan at a breakfast meeting on June 6, 2017.
The Strategic Plan in PDF format is available here.
The need for help with food is growing despite the improving economy. Some data points that made now the right time:
- A high and growing higher number of people in our area face food insecurity: 1 in 16 people overall, 1 in 6 children and 1 in 5 senior citizens.
- Poverty rates in some of the towns we serve are 12%.
- The poverty rate is $24,600 for a family of four with most assistance programs limited to those at 1.5 to 2 times that amount which is more than $25,000 below the $75,000 average cost of living in this area
- The population living on fixed incomes is growing rapidly as baby boomers retire.
- Improvements in transportation to Devens may lead to more people who need our services gaining access.
- Hunger and food insecurity aren’t the same thing. Quality and nutritional value of food matter. As Loaves & Fishes has shifted to more fresh produce our storage and distribution requirements have shifted.
- Uncertainty over funding and other support for public assistance programs.
Continue reading Loaves & Fishes’ Strategic Plan
Thank you for helping us fight hunger one bag at a time. This year we received over 18,000 pounds of food valued in excess of $30,000, a 61% increase over last year!
Thank you to Laddawn, located in Devens, who donated 18,000 bags which were placed in nearly all residential mailboxes in our service area.
Thank you to our local post offices, Loaves & Fishes Coordinator Nancy Ohringer, the many volunteers who supported the effort, and to everyone who donated.
A slideshow of photos from this year’s drive:
2017 Postal Workers Food Drive